Thursday, January 13, 2011

"CARtastrophies"

I feel the need to rant. I know what your thinking 'everything will work out fine' and 'you know you should have....', but just put your reading glasses on and sympathize with me/us for a minute.

The other day I took our fun little car to get an oil change and walked out with a $700 bill. I'm no car expert but when the mechanic says 'you need new tires' and I say 'show me the old ones', and he says 'look at the steel bands starting show through', I say 'yep I need new tires' so there goes a tons of cash that I so wanted to spend on something rather than tires.

Then a week after that M and I got in a fender bender. We were going south to the big city and took an off ramp where "Smashly Simpson" rammed into us. Yes, were okay, we both had some minor whiplash from it but we're okay (believe me I'm not being ungrateful that we weren't hurt, I'm truly thankful, but the story gets better). M gets out and handles everything, because during things like this I have one of the following three responses, shake, cry, or the desire to swear like a sailor. He handles everything; the damage isn't too bad, but with new cars you know it's going to be a little bit more than you'd expect. The women that hit us said she wanted to work it out with us, and not involve insurance and all that. So we agree and swapped info and left.

Fast forward two weeks later and a few phone calls later, we find out she has no insurance, she has given us a phone number that has now been disconnected, and we will be stuck with the bill. Great. So I am going to say good bye to another lump of cash.

So what have we learned: always call the police when in an accident no matter how minor.

Rant done; thanks I feel a little better

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about all your car problems. I had a fender bender last year- no biggie just a dent, but Van insisted I call the police & report it even tho the guy didn't want to and wanted to work it out himself. We did and it was much easier. Lesson learned....hopefully right? By the way we had your name for Christmas & I have been meaning to call you. We didn't forget.......it was on back order. We sent it up w/Clay and Barb and it will be @ Mom & Dad's house. Merry Christmas!